Saturday, July 30, 2005

Aki

The only thing I can’t understand is how could you use my ovaries like pebbles in your mouth. Something to suckle while you waited for more apt sustenance. I admit I am not so young anymore but still I am all I have in this world. But in the event you are not the Devil (or even if you are), this is what I would like to know: How was I for you?

Red

I was almost gone when He came. The only way I could lay comfortably was on my side with my head resting at the foot of the apple tree on the scrubby hill back in the field. The tree they’d chained me to. They never unchained me since I bit the boy’s arm. The chain, tied and knotted, became part of my neck; it burned through my coat and buried in my flesh.

The pain in my neck and head was all that was left. I lay and my eyes felt huge as the red sky. That night the clouds fell in my eyes and I was awake dreaming that I was floating in cool water, a red misty stream.
I died when I felt His boot, the toe of it nudging my belly. It did not hurt.