Thursday, January 5, 2006

"Oh, shit," said Zhen Lee.

Whatever this is, I thought, I can barely be bothered.

We were on break. The others had fallen back to the Living Room to partake of the customary catered meal and video entertainment options. Lee and I, however, were in the habit of taking our plates back to the Control Room, where we would take turns monitoring Patient activity and freely perusing the System Web, as was respectively required and permitted by our Senior clearance status.

Needless to say, we both spent most of our time Web surfing, occasionally and sporadically looking in on the Patients just to see what was what with that miserable, mindless class of vermin

I was clicking through the Club Spa's most recently posted selection of courtiers and activities. I needed to relax. This morning I'd learned -- through certain non-official, but highly reliable, channels -- that our Group's Perrennial Review had been moved up to the end of next quarter. I hadn't told anyone else in the Group yet.

I had to admit my paranoia. Had I made enemies at the Professional Council? I had no reason to think so - not that this meant anything. Professionals of much higher status than I had gone down for reasons shrouded and apparently - apparently - arbitrary.

In any event, I needed to relax--and I planned to.

"Oh, SHIT!" screamed Lee.

I flinched badly, knocking my plate of spaghetti and meatballs to the floor and dumping over my cup, spilling cherry soda all over the console. I quickly composed myself, notwithstanding the mess. In a quiet, steady tone, I asked, "What is it?"

"CLAY IS EATING THE PATIENTS," screamed Lee.

Tiny, icy wings seemed to erupt everywhere on my skin.

"Where's he at?" My voice cracked. Lee stared, apparently more unsettled at my tone than at Clay's behavior.

"Day Salon. Round Room," he croaked.

I flipped open my phone and thumbscrolled down to "Professional Public Intercom."

"Code Orange A9, Code Orange A9. Containment team needed on DS4. Please advise...ASAP."

I flipped the phone shut and immediately flipped it back open, thumbscrolling to the Living Room Intercom. I spoke as evenly as I could manage.

"All of you get back in here NOW. We've got an Eater..."

"Ah Jesus," Lee muttered, "He's eating their brains."

In a daze, not thinking, I refreshed the Spa courtier screen, only to see Jellice's face and profile appear.

That was quick, I thought.

Much too quick.

Lee said, laughing now with an edge of dangerous hysteria, "You've got to see this."

Jellice...have they gotten to you, my pretty, young one? Are you set to snare me, my pretty young one?

"Send me the link."