Friday, November 13, 2009

shapes of 3

Hollis lives upstairs in the stable;
says he's a Houyhnhym

That's not funny

He's on the run from his Masters
And if he's caught, they'll skin him

That's not funny

He hates Led Zep and The Beatles
Because he wasn't in 'em

That's not funny

Ah, the shapes of yesterday
Not for nothing

But it all runs away
Like blood. Or water

Or blood in
water

***

I've got a crazy partner
I should not pretend that I do not know
He's got a crazy heart
And he's killing me behind the door

And I'm in no position
To pretend that I do not know
He is not forgiven; if he says he is
Then it's all a show

Man. I've got a creepy feeling
He's got an appetite I do not know
He's gone voracious starkers
And the only thing he wants is more

And there is no derision
That could knock him from the high he's on
He's says he's gonna mainline freely
That he's tired of laying low

He's says there'll be no division
Let my dendrites be tenterhooks
I keep a noble fire
Like that one from so long ago

***

Childhood is as a broken teacup.